Kirkwood Community College presents its ninth annual Constitution Day program Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014, in celebration of the United States Constitution and its varied and diverse influences on our lives. This day also celebrates those who became citizens through naturalization, or by coming of age, thus echoing one of Kirkwood’s designated general education goals: Students will recognize the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
Kirkwood celebrates Constitution Day with a lecture series at both the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City campuses. These lectures are open to the general public and free of charge. (See featured speakers and topics below.)
Kirkwood’s Constitution Day events are part of a nationwide series, designed to instill better knowledge and awareness of the U.S. Constitution in daily life. This celebration also fulfills a federal mandate championed by the late Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, to honor the Constitution each year.
*****Featured Speakers and Lectures*****
CEDAR RAPIDS MAIN CAMPUS EVENTS
- Voting Systems: Why They Matter – Phil Koopman, Kirkwood faculty, Math/Science Department Linn Hall 2188 8-8:50 a.m. This presentation will stream live in Iowa City Room 117 and other KTS locations.
- The Surveillance State, Privacy and Liberty: Philosophical Perspective – David Bullwinkle, Chris McCord and Scott Samuelson, Kirkwood faculty, Arts and Humanities Department Iowa Hall A & B 9:05-9:55 a.m. This presentation will stream live in Iowa City Room 117.
- Recent Supreme Court Decisions: Implications for Policing – Greg Roth, Kirkwood faculty, Social Science Department Iowa Hall A & B 10:10-11 a.m. This presentation will stream live in Iowa City Room 117.
IOWA CITY CAMPUS EVENTS
- We the People: A Reading of the Preamble of the Constitution of the United States – Kirkwood students, faculty, staff and guests are invited to join in this public recitation of the Preamble of the U.S. Constitution. Commons Area 12:20 p.m.
- The Blessings of Liberty: A Conversation on the American Dream – David Hulm and Cindy Cochran, Kirkwood Iowa City faculty Commons Area 12:25-1:15 p.m.